Example session from SIVA university on Arudha Lagna
This session is the first among the four sessions on Arudha Lagna, which was taught at SIVA university as a part of 1st year curriculum. I am giving this session for the benefit of all readers, but strongly repeat that SIVA is the teaching curriculum for slavic speaking people only. See www.siva-edu.com For english speaking students please visit the teaching curriculum of my Jyotish Guru Pt. Sanjay Rath www.sohamsa.com/dbc
Arudha Lagna class One
• Whenever we analyze the human being the followings things occur to our mind:Who am I? Who is that particular person? We all have a certain image, we can see a body of a person, their characteristic etc. We are able to give opinion on a certain person, to notice their particulars. There are differences among each of us.
• Then we have the mind which is capable of thinking… This makes difference too. Then we have a soul, since dead bodies cannot walk. There is our family, name, country, origin, a work we do, a certain reputation etc.
• These are the primary definitions, and there are more. Everything about our physical body can be seen from Lagnesha, or Lagna lord. That is the body, the circumstances around our birth. We are further defined by lagna and its various definitions (we learnt that in the previous sessions)
• Everything about the mind can be seen from Chandra lagna. Mana is our mind and it has 5 levels-pancha manaThere is a physical consicousness, awareness about the physical world around. Then, there is a subconsiousness, I was aware of something, it is in my mind, then we have the consciousness about our ancestors, generations, pitris, then memory about previous existence etc.Then comes Atmakaraka and Surya as Sarva Atma. On the level of soul, the interaction is completely different. The soul knows the true role of karma. Whatever we do, the intention is important. Why do we do this or that? Such intention or desire is known only by the soul or Atma. It is the domain of Atmakaraka. Surya Lagna and Karaka Lagna (chart as viewed from Atmakaraka Planet) become important at this stace. These two lagnas will speak about our relationship with Paramatma and the desire and intention of karma.
• SAMSARA – the world we are born in. We take birth in different families and the status depends on the place we were born. All these aspects are seen in one chart known as Arudha Lagna. In the next session we will explain the principle of reflexion and the three levels of truth which will further explain this concept of arudha, and how from arudha different levels of chart arise (vishesha lagna, bhava, hora and ghati etc)Now, let us try to define arudha lagna.Arudha is perceived reality, without real truth. This truth is conditioned truth. The arudha means (mount roughly speaking). It shows the impression we may have on the world around
• Arudha is related to our physical body. I am that person. This is what our mind keeps telling us. Our body is the same as all other human bodies, however the impression this body creates is ruled by the mind. For example, Vladimir Putin, a normal human body with two hands and two legs. But his mind speaks that he is one among the most influential people in the world, and the president of one of the most infleuntial countries in the world. That is Arudha.Arudhas in the Rashi chart are strictly related to us
Arudhas in divisional charts are related to other people and other areas, and the images in the mind (more subtle divisional charts)
• Arudha is the reflection created by bhava lord. Shri Brahma took the mud and mould our body and inhaled life in it. One day, this mud will decay and desintegrate, and arudha will also fall in oblivion. The body cannot be famous, the fame comes from ones deeds. The fame comes from Lagna, Arudha is the body, while the name links the two.
• During the discussion we will cover two principles:
- The relationship of bhava and bhavesha, and the condition of bhavesha in creation of Arudha.
- The application of intelligence and one’s choices decide on Arudha
How to calculate Arudhas?1. Count the number of places which the bhava lord has traverssed from the bhava.2. Count the same number from the lord. The bhava arrived at is known as Arudha or Pada (movement, step). This word „ Pada“ will become very relevant in understanding movement of Arudhas and four different ayanas (directions) a human being takeThere is a nomenclature of standard names for each of the 12 arudhas, such as Arudha Lagna, Dhana Pada, Vikram pada etc. Standard texts give clear names.
There are exceptions in calculations of Arudhas.Certain arudhas are more imporant, such as Arudha of 3rd and 9th bhavas, Mantra Arudha, Dara pada, Bhagya pada, Upapada, Vyaya pada and Gauna pada (from the principle of Go Mukha with Sudarshan chakra principle, which will be explained in later sessions)
• The exceptions of Arudha Calculations 1. IF lord of a bhava is placed in the same bhava or 7th bhava, then arudha falls in the 10th bhava counted from the bhava in question2. IF the lord of a bhava is placed 4th or 10th places from a bhava, 4th bhava counted from the bhava in question becomes arudha. These principles are explained in Parashara and Jaimini
• Why do we have these exceptions?Lagna and 7th houses are known as Sathya peethas, the places of truth. The truth for every body is to be born and to die/get rebirth or moksha. Under these two statements, it is irrelevant who we are or how big or small we are. Therefore, arudhas can never fall in:
- The same bhava or opposite of it
- The neighbouring bhavas (126.96.36.199.)
These principles can be understood through Murta Ghatika principle which we explained before.
• The principle of exceptions in calculation is related to Dakshina and Uttarayana. This principle will be explained during discussions.You will understand then why Lagna lord in 4th house gives a spiritual person who sits in the vahana (vehicle) of Shri Ganasha, and protects and is protected by the Mother (Devi)If the lord of Lagna is in 10th house, a person is deadly fighter and has protection of Ganesha, while sits on the tiger, Durga Vahana etc.If Lord of Lagna is in lagna itself a person is blessed by the Sun God, and sits on Goat the vehicle of Agni, and is blessed by the AgniIF lord of Lagna is in 7th house, a person sits in Surya vehicle,In all these cases, there will be a break of the arudha and certan results will be experienced, which we will discuss in detail during discussion classes.In both these cases, Arudhas can be either in 4th or 10th houses. These two houses are related to Durga and Ganesha, and we will explain such links and importance of exception to the arudha calculations falling in these two houses, as well as the links and importance of these Devatas.
FOUR TYPES OF GUNA COMBINATIONS • Every moment has interaction of all gunas which takes place in four ways. Parashara describes these four types of combinations.
1. Uttama – the best, pure satva guna, compassion, purity, tapas, peace, humility, good reputation etc.
2. Madyama – higher rajas guna, courage, intelligence, splendour, protection of spirituality etc
3. Adhama – tamas guna – greed, lies, stupidity, laziness etc
4. Udhasina – lower rajas guna – love for money, unhappy, business, truth and lies according to convenience etc.
• Guru and Chandra are pure Uttama Surya from Uttama to Madhyama Budha and Shukra are madhyama Mangal and Rahu are Adhama Shani and Ketu are udhasina
• Actually, Shani is more Adhama, less udhasina. There are varioations depending on its conjunctions with other grahas. For ketu there is also exception and it can change the guna.
• These effects are seen when these grahas are on Arudha Lagna, since Arudha shows our direction in samsara, our reputation, social background etc. The effects of each graha will be explained during discussions.
• Only Guru and Chandra are uttama, for all other grahas, the process of Arudha reversal is necessary, as per the instructions of Chandra Kala Nadi.
In the next sessions, I will try to clear the misconceptions about Arudhas which are taught to relate to our status only. The arudhas are related to different concepts of truth, which are three at least. To be continued…